Shortened Swim at Jordanelle

I was supposed to meet Chad at Jordanelle this morning at 5am.  When I left the house, I could see a lot of lightning and heard some thunder.  As I was driving up the canyon, it started to rain pretty hard.  I texted Chad and told him what I was seeing.  He had camped there the night before and texted back that there wasn't any lightning at the lake.  By the time I got on to Highway 40, the rain had stopped, but I could still see lightning.  In my mind, I was already thinking about calling it quits.

I saw some more lightning when I got to the lake, but it looked like the storm was clearing up.  I decided to get ready and see what happened while I waited for Chad.  The wind ended up blowing the storm away from the lake and the skies were pretty clear.  It was 5:30 and I still hadn't seen Chad, so I just got in and started swimming.

The water temp has been cooling down (68-69 compared to 72-73 a couple weeks ago) and it felt a little chilly at first.  By the time I got to the first buoy, I was fine.  I kept looking for Chad but couldn't see him anywhere.

I've been in a bad place mentally for the last week or so thinking about my upcoming swim across Bear Lake with Sarah, Gords, and Chad.  A few weeks ago, I realized that I had not done enough training to do a double crossing like I had originally planned, so I decided to just do a one way crossing.  Watching the weather and seeing the water and air temperatures drop, combined with the fact that my portion of the swim will all be in the dark, has been causing me a lot of anxiety.  This morning during my swim, that's all I could think about and it was bringing me down.  I was worried that I would get cold and have to pull out.  Even though I know there will be a boat and two other swimmers right by me, I've had a hard time pulling myself out of these negative thoughts.  I know that I will probably be fine.  Having a boat and two other swimmer next to me will be a huge comfort.  I know I'm making a way bigger deal out of it than I need to, but I don't know how to get myself out of it.

Anyway, I finished about 2.5 miles and was going to go out for another loop when I finally saw Chad.  I stopped to talk to him for a bit.  He ended up getting in not long after I did, but went out towards the dam instead of following the buoys.  No wonder I didn't see him!  He was just finishing up and I decided to call it a day rather than do the last loop.  I had the documentary Driven that I needed to give him.

We talked for a while about Bear Lake and he convinced me that I didn't have anything to worry about.  There is a forecast for thunderstorms on Saturday morning, which is stressing me out.  I hate when the weather doesn't cooperate for our events!  Hopefully we miss the storm.  If not, we will have a plan in place for bad weather.

No comments: